Holiday season is in full swing, which means it’s time for family, friends and parties—and what’s a holiday celebration without some homemade cookies?! Being a cannabis brand, we like to add a little something extra to our baked goods, and these Lemon Curd THC cookies (made with our very own Verist gummies) are enough to stop Santa in his tracks. Here’s how you can make this fun and easy recipe at home.
STEP 1: MAKE THE LEMON CURD
One of our favorite recipes for lemon curd is from the one and only Barefoot Contessa, and it comes together so simply, especially when you know these pro tips:
- The recipe calls for real lemons, but if you only have store-bought lemon juice, that’s fine, too—just add about 1/8 cup more than the recipe calls for to make up for the lemon zest.
- Once on the stove, the curd may take a bit longer than suggested to thicken, but be patient, turn the heat up slightly and just keep stirring!
Once you’ve achieved a jelly-like consistency, your curd is ready to be set aside to cool—and you’re ready to make your cookies.
STEP 2: PREP THE COOKIES
Contrast is the secret to the delicious flavor of this dessert. We love how the sweet, sticky curd pairs perfectly with the mild, crumbly texture of the butter cookies. A few notes on how to make yours the best they can be:
- Make sure you cream the butter and sugar together really well before adding the rest of the ingredients. This will ensure you create the perfect butter-cookie texture.
- When rolling out the cookies, the recipe recommends using 1 ½ tablespoons of dough, but we found 1 tablespoon was just right for creating bite-sized cookies (they'll rise a little in the oven).
- Once you’ve formed circles with the dough, press down in the center with your thumb, using your index and middle finger to help form a little divot. The dough will crack, but that’s okay—just smooth it out as you go.
After you’ve shaped your dough, add a heaping ¼ teaspoon of custard to the center of each cookie and top with the Verist THC gummy of your choice. We used Lemon, but Passion Fruit would also work for a different twist on the flavor.
STEP 3: BAKE!
Once the cookies are ready to hit the oven, 350 degrees for about 18 minutes was our sweet spot—but depending on your oven, it may take anywhere from 15-20 minutes. When the cookies come out, note that the custard will still be soft and gooey and the gummy will still be intact, as baking doesn’t affect its potency or consistency. Let cool for 10 minutes, and these adults-only treats are ready to enjoy!
Lemon Curd THC cookies are a fun twist on traditional holiday baking that’s perfect for a cocktail party, game night or any other adult holiday gathering. As always, consume responsibly, label clearly and keep THC treats out of the reach of children, pets and anyone else who may be sensitive to it. For any other questions, please reach out to email@example.com. Enjoy and happy holidays!
Barefoot Contessa’s Lemon Curd Recipe:
- 3 lemons
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ¼ pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 extra-large eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice (3 to 4 lemons)
- A pinch of kosher salt
Step 1: Using a carrot peeler, remove the zest of 3 lemons, being careful to avoid the white pith. Put the zest in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the sugar and pulse until the zest is very finely minced into the sugar.
Step 2: Cream the butter and beat in the sugar and lemon mixture. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix until combined.
Step 3: Pour the mixture into a 2-quart saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. The lemon curd will thicken at about 170 degrees F, or just below simmer. Remove from the heat and cool or refrigerate.
A Spicy Perspective’s Butter Cookie Recipe:
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup lemon curd
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. With an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest together until smooth. Scrape the bowl with a spatula. Turn the mixer on low and add the salt. Add the flour a little at a time, until it is just combined.
Step 2: Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 1-ounce balls, about 1 1/2 tablespoons. Place them on the cookie sheets and press with your thumb to create a cavity in the center. It helps them to keep their shape if you hold the sides of the cookie with the other index finger and thumb. Press any cracks back into place.
Step 3: Fill each indentation with a scant 1/4 teaspoon of lemon curd. (Use just a little more if filling with jam.) Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and immediately sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar.
The recipes mentioned above are not endorsed by Barefoot Contessa or A Spicy Perspective. CBD and THC affect everyone differently and should be used with caution.